In the last 30 years, Life Time has created and defined a healthy way of life. Today, this work goes beyond the well-being of the individual to encompass the collective vitality of the communities we’re part of and the world we live in.
We believe that our own health and happiness is strengthened by the health of our planet, the people around us and the principles our company aspires to live by.
We focus our Environmental, Social and Governance approach on three pillars: Healthy People (Social), Healthy Planet (Environmental), and Healthy Principles (Governance).
Proud to be recognized
We are proud to be recognized for the technologies and procedures that have allowed us to increase energy efficiency by nearly 40% across our athletic country club portfolio of 16 million square feet.
The U.S. DOE Better Buildings Challenge partner
Is it possible to transform the largest healthy way of life ecosystem across the U.S. and Canada, with over 160 athletic country club locations, a handful of coworking and residential complexes, and nearly 30 athletic events and make it more efficient?
Think big. Start small. Move fast. Like our own goals, the greatest change occurs by making seemingly small adjustments, then applying them full scale to make a significant impact.
I. REDUCE GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS
Greenhouse gas (GhG) emissions are a major factor in climate change, and we are diligently working to reduce them.
- Retro-fit interior and exterior lighting with LEDs and installing advanced energy-management systems to optimize energy usage.
- Retro-commission more than 3,000 rooftop units with advanced controls, using an energy-management system to analyze and optimize HVAC and other energy demands.
- Couple this system with its class scheduler to ensure that the more than 750,000 classes held each year are automatically heated and cooled more efficiently.
- Reduce electricity usage through the implementation of variable frequency drives and high efficiency water pumps to optimize water flow in pools.
- Incorporate local produce in our LifeCafes to reduce transportation emissions.
US Department of Energy Awards
- Better Buildings Initiative for reducing our electricity by 38% in mature clubs over the past seven years. (Note. Through a variety of energy and water efficiency and conservation measures this goal was achieved 3 years early.) July 22
- Roof top unit innovation and efficiency 2016 and 2017
- Internal/external LED lighting upgrades with motion sensor & daylight harvesting. 2017-18
II. CONSERVE WATER
From nourishing our cells, healing what’s broken, or complete enjoyment, we love, need, and are called to protect water. As one of the largest operators of over 700 bodies of water, slides, saunas, and steam rooms, plus laundry and showers, nationally, it’s our goal to steward faithfully this precious resource, without compromising the member experience.
- Reducing water usage in over 400 spas by 50% through UV Technologies
- Optimizing laundry wash cycles with less water
- Implementing low-flow shower heads
- Incorporating systems to monitor water use and immediately identify leaks
- Adding advanced irrigation management systems
III. WASTE MINIMIZATION
In our clubs, events and other facilities, our strategy focuses first on generating less waste, then diverting it from landfills.
- Plastic water bottles with recyclable aluminum
- Plastic mouthwash cups with paper
- Plastic LifeCafe-ware compostable dishes and utensils
- Plastic swimsuit bags with recycled ocean plastic
- Plastic membership cards
- Tennis balls turn into tennis courts and other rubber products
- End-of-life exercise equipment is reused, resold or recycled
- Use long-lasting materials such as natural wood, granite and bamboo
- Create Athletic Events “Green Teams” to employ more sustainable practices from starting line to finish, such as:
- Touchless refill hydration stations on the course
- Bottle refill stations at finish festivals
Our vision for the future? Life Time Villages. Changing the way we live, work and play, these developments integrate our athletic country clubs, with co-working spaces and residences. Naturally and intuitively environmentally friendly, these locations are designed to put an entire community within walking distance and reduce the average number of automobile trips.
IV. INSPIRE ACTION
With over 30,000 team members, 1.5 million members and a host of like-minded suppliers, we know people are our most valuable resource.
- Create and distribute content through Experience Life, our award-winning magazine
- Enlighten team members with Healthy Planet Training so they can adopt sustainable practices at work and home
- Support the annual Earth Day celebration with communications and community building events
- Partner with suppliers that have similar values
- Sambazon - protects the Amazon rainforest and reinvests in Amazon communities
- Bell & Evan - sets industry leading animal welfare standards for the ethical treatment of chickens
- LifeSpa brands such as Aveda, Eminence, Wella, Moroccan Oil, and Keraste
We recognize our responsibility of helping people live healthy lives. We value the unique talents, backgrounds and perspectives that allow our members, team members and communities to thrive.
Our goal? To help everyone feel respected and valued. To support a healthy and safe environment that allows them to be their own unique self. That they perceive Life Time as their family, the place they belong.
I. INCLUSION, EQUITY AND DIVERSITY
- Created organizational-wide Inclusion Council with 12 committees and 400 ambassadors to identify opportunities for DEI growth within our organization
- Strengthened development of our team members through mentoring, coaching and other opportunities, including a formal mentorship program with more than 100 mentors and employee resource groups
- Supported inclusive leadership through a partnership with University of Michigan Ross School of Business
- Engagement forums and other training and programs on DEI topics where team members have the opportunity to learn, share experiences and exchange ideas
II. HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Physical and mental health support for team members through a complimentary club membership and Life Time Mind, an in-house holistic mindful coaching process
- Safety training and procedures for team members working in our clubs, including online and in-club training and incident reporting
- Equipment safety inspections performed by team members as well as external inspectors based on local requirements
- Life Time Education (formerly Life Time University), founded in 1996, has evolved into a full-service in-house learning and development function, expanding from onboarding and compliance into professional team member development. Courses include leadership development, inclusive workplaces, and health and safety training, as well as upskilling our team members to prepare them for growth within the company.
- Life Time Academy, since 2011, is a vocational school that offers nationally accredited certifications in the areas of Personal Training, Group Fitness and Cycle. In 2021, more than 370,000 hours of learning were consumed in over 250,000 courses and curricula
IV. GIVE BACK
The Life Time Foundation
Started in 2003 with a focus in sustainable, impactful change in nutrition, the Life Time Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, with administrative expenses covered by Life Time. It’s goal? To help serve wholesome, nourishing, minimally-processed food in schools, and to get kids moving.
Healthy School Meals
Today, we serve 3,634 schools in 35 public school districts across the country, impacting over 1.7 million children.
Our Total School Nutrition Grants to date: nearly $7 million.
Get Kids Moving
And we’re just getting warmed up; we’re adding movement.
We support schools and local community organizations nationwide to help kids in underserved communities get moving in safe, fun, and enriching ways and establish healthy, active lifestyles.
- 20 schools and community organizations nationwide, impacting 28,000 children
- Total Funding Distributed and/or Pledged: $600,000
Life Time LIFTS
Established in 2017 to provide emergency financial assistance to Team Members who experience unexpected hardship, Life Time LIFTS has granted approximately $7.8 million to over 10,000 team members, including to help during the COVID pandemic.
We are committed to strong corporate governance and ethical business practices. Our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics defines our values and our diverse board of directors sets high standards for our executive leadership team and our more than 30,000 team members to conduct business with integrity. As the Healthy Way of Life Company, we believe that doing the right thing serves as a foundation for making a positive impact on the health and wellness of our members, team members and communities.
I. GOVERNANCE POLICIES
Our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics sets forth principles that are core to our business, including provisions on legal and corporate compliance, conflicts of interest, information protection, and environment, health and safety, including employment practices. Our Committee Charters outline the purpose, composition and responsibilities of our Board committees, while our Corporate Governance Guidelines assist the Board in exercising its responsibilities. Learn more
II. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Our diverse board of directors is committed to strong governance and ethical business practices. Of our 12 directors, 9 are independent, including the chairs of both our Audit Committee and Compensation Committee. Learn more about the composition, qualifications, committee assignments, outside board service, committee charters, governance guidelines and other matters related to our board.
III. GOVERNANCE PROCESSES
Life Time has several avenues to report suspected violations through an employee hotline. Any team member who, in good faith, seeks to help, report or cooperate with an investigation of a known or suspected code violation is protected against retaliation.
We recognize the importance of ensuring the ongoing security of data, systems and technology. To address information security risk, we have designed our cyber security program around the industry-standard National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Cyber Security Framework (NIST-CSF). We have established a dedicated cyber security team to assess, monitor and maintain our assets, and respond to cyber-related incidents, and have an incident response plan to guide our response to major information security events.